Ingredients for 5 gals:
7# Organic pale malt extract
1/2 # Briess Organic caramel 60 oL malt
3/4 oz. NZ Pacific Gem hop pellets -bittering (32 IBU)
1/2 oz. New Zealand Hallertaur hop pellets- aroma
Yeast: Wyeast #1056 American Ale or dry ale yeast
For bottling: 3/4 cup corn sugar or 1 cup of malt extract
Optional ingredient: 1/4 teaspoon Irish Moss
International Bittering Units (IBU's): 32
Original Gravity (O.G.): 1.048- 1.054
Final Gravity (F.G.): 1.012-1.016
For expanded directions, go to brewing proceedures for Extract recipes.
1. Make a grain "tea" with the grains using a saucepan & strainer or a grain bag.
2. Add the grain "tea" to your brew kettle along with 5 gallons of water .
3. Add the malt extract and bring to a boil.
4. Once the wort has reached a rolling boil add 3/4 oz. NZ Pacific Gem hop pellets (bittering) and boil for 55 minutes. If desired, add the Irish Moss flakes for the last 20 minutes of the boil.
5. Add 1/2 oz. NZ Hallertaur hops (aroma), boil 5 more minutes, & turn the heat off. Cool the wort to 65- 75 oF.
6. Transfer the chilled wort into your sanitized primary fermenting vessel.
7. Shake or stir (with a sanitized spoon!) the unfermented beer vigorously to add oxygen. Add the yeast and ferment in a cool dark place for 3-5 days at 60- 70 oF in the primary fermenter.
8. If you have a secondary fermenter, transfer the beer to it when fermentation activity has subsided (after 4-6 days).
9. Ferment for an additional 7- 14 days, or until fermentation is complete.
10. Bottle the beer and let condition in the bottle for 1- 3 weeks.
Home Shop Brew Tips Recipes How to Brew Contact Us Order Privacy
© 1997- 2004 Seven Bridges Cooperative