ORGANIC BEER RECIPES
Organic 7 Bridges Red Ale
A medium bodied light amber ale, with a balanced, moderate hop bitterness
7# Organic malt extract
1/2 # Briess Organic caramel 60 oL malt
1/4 # Briess Organic caramel 120 oL malt
1/8 # Briess Organic chocolate malt
1/2 oz. Organic New Zealand Pacific Gem hop pellets- bittering (34 IBU)
1 oz. Organic American Cascade hop pellets- flavor (6 IBU)
1/2 oz. Organic New Zealand Hallertaur hop pellets- aroma
Ale Yeast: Wyeast #1056 American Ale or White Labs #001 California Ale
For bottling: 1 1/4 cup Dry Malt Extract (DME)*
Optional ingredient: 1/2 teaspoon Irish Moss
International Bittering Units (IBU’s): 40
Original Gravity (O.G.): 1.048- 1.054
Final Gravity (F.G.): 1.010-1.016
Average alcohol content (% by volume): 5.2%
*If you prefer, you may use 1 cup of organic malt extract or 3/4 cup corn sugar (not included in this kit) or kraeusen with 1 quart of unfermented wort for bottling.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR BREWING:
For expanded directions, go to brewing procedures for extract recipes.
1. Make a grain "tea" with the grains using a saucepan & strainer or a grain bag.
2. Add the grain "tea" to your brew kettle along with 5 gallons of water .
3. Add the malt extract and bring to a boil.
4. Once the wort has reached a rolling boil add 1/2 oz. NZ Pacific Gem hop pellets (bittering) and boil for 40 minutes.
5. Add 1 oz. American Cascade hops (flavor) and boil for 15 minutes. If desired, add the Irish Moss flakes for the last 20 minutes of the boil.
6. Add 1/2 oz. NZ Hallertaur hops (aroma), boil 5 more minutes, & turn the heat off. Cool the wort to 65- 75 oF.
7. Transfer the chilled wort into your sanitized primary fermenting vessel.
8. Shake or stir (with a sanitized spoon!) the unfermented beer vigorously to add oxygen. Add the yeast and ferment in a cool dark place for 3-5 days at 60- 70 oF in the primary fermenter.
9. If you have a secondary fermenter, transfer the beer to it when fermentation activity has subsided (after 4-6 days).
10. Ferment for an additional 7- 14 days, or until fermentation is complete.
11. Bottle the beer and let condition in the bottle for 1- 3 weeks.
Home Shop Brew Tips Recipes How to Brew Contact Us Order Privacy
© 1997- 2005 Seven Bridges Cooperative