Ingredients for 5 gals:
7.5# Organic pale malt extract
1/2 # Briess Organics caramel 120 oL malt
1/2 # Briess Organics chocolate malt 1/2 oz.
New Zealand Pacific Gem hop pellets - bittering (30 IBU)
1/2 oz. New Zealand Hallertaur hop pellets- flavor (13 IBU)
1/2 oz. New Zealand Hallertaur hop pellets- aroma
Ale Yeast: Wyeast #1028 London Ale, White Labs #004 English Ale, or dry ale yeast
For bottling: 3/4 cup corn sugar*
Optional ingredient: 1/2 teaspoon Irish Moss
International Bittering Units (IBU’s): 43
Original Gravity (O.G.): 1.058- 1.062
Final Gravity (F.G.): 1.012-1.018
Average alcohol content (% by volume): 5.6%
*If you prefer, you may use 1 cup of organic malt extract (not included in this kit) or kraeusen with 4 cups of unfermented wort (see brewing tip: Kraeusening your beer) for bottling.
For expanded directions, go to brewing proceedures for Extract recipes.
1. Make a grain "tea" with the grains using a saucepan & strainer or a grain bag.
2. 2. Add the grain "tea" to your brew kettle along with enough water to make 5 1/4 gallons.
3. Add the malt extract and bring to a boil.
4. Once the wort has reached a rolling boil add 1/2 oz. New Zealand Pacific Gem hop pellets (bittering) and boil for 40 minutes.
5. Add 1/2 oz. New Zealand Pacific Gem hop pellets (flavor) and boil for 15 minutes.If desired, add the Irish Moss flakes.
6. Add 1/2 oz. NZ Hallertaur hops (aroma), boil 5 more minutes, & turn the heat off. Cool the wort to 65- 75 oF.
7. Transfer the chilled wort into your sanitized primary fermenting vessel.
8. Shake or stir (with a sanitized spoon!) the unfermented beer vigorously to add oxygen. Add the yeast and ferment in a cool dark place for 3-5 days at 60- 70 oF in the primary fermenter.
9. If you have a secondary fermenter, transfer the beer to it when fermentation activity has subsided (after 4-6 days).
10. Ferment for an additional 7- 14 days, or until fermentation is complete.
11. Bottle the beer and let condition in the bottle for 1- 3 weeks.
Home Shop Brew Tips Recipes How to Brew Contact Us Order Privacy
© 1997- 2004 Seven Bridges Cooperative